Thursday, December 25, 2014

Throwback Thursday #1: NYC & The 50's


Throwback Thursday is an original feature I do in which I highlight some of my favorite historical fiction books from a specific time period. The first book featured is Strings Attached by Judy Blundell, which takes place in the 1950s in New York City! 

Strings AttachedTitle: Strings Attached
Author: Judy Blundell
Publication Date: March 1, 2011
Genre: Historical fiction
From National Book Award winner Judy Blundell, the tale of a sixteen-year-old girl caught in a mix of love, mystery, Broadway glamour, and Mob retribution in 1950 New York.

When Kit Corrigan arrives in New York City, she doesn't have much. She's fled from her family in Providence, Rhode Island, and she's broken off her tempestuous relationship with a boy named Billy, who's enlisted in the army.


The city doesn't exactly welcome her with open arms. She gets a bit part as a chorus girl in a Broadway show, but she knows that's not going to last very long. She needs help--and then it comes, from an unexpected source.

Nate Benedict is Billy's father. He's also a lawyer involved in the mob. He makes Kit a deal--he'll give her an apartment and introduce her to a new crowd. All she has to do is keep him informed about Billy . . . and maybe do him a favor every now and then. -Goodreads

The Historical Fiction:

Very accurate but was not shoved down the reader's throat. The author alluded to the reality of that period, leaving it open to interpretation. Well-researched, but did not read like a history textbook.

The Characters:

My absolute favorite part of the novel. Each character, especially Kit, was well-developed with flaws and not-so-pretty pasts. They gave life to the setting and helped me understand the time period much better.

The Writing:

Really drew me into the setting of the novel. It was very atmospheric and transported me back to 1950s America.

A gripping, heart-breaking read and a must read for fans of more emotional historical fiction with a touch of coming-of-age.

2 comments:

  1. I am really intrigued by '50s American literature, but for some reason books like this one stay on my TBR for years and just don't get picked up. I think I need to pick this one up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has been on my TBR list forever as well, but I think when I saw the cover at the library I was compelled to check it out. I hope you love it as well!

    ReplyDelete